Eltrombopag, also known as Revolade or Promacta, is a non-peptide molecule which binds to the TPO receptor to increase platelet counts. This treatment is only available on the PBS to patients who relapse following splenectomy or have contraindications to splenectomy and previous treatment failure.
Eltrombopag is an oral treatment in the form of a tablet. Taken once per day, it is very important that it is taken one hour before or two hours after the consumption of food. This window is increased to four hours when consuming foods containing calcium, iron, zinc or other dietary elements which can bind to and block absorption of Eltrombopag. In practice, many patients take this treatment at bedtime.
As with Romiplostim, Eltrombopag is not recommended for women who are or plan to become pregnant or while breast-feeding.
Side effects# include:
- back pain
- muscle aches or spasms
- pain or numbness in arms, legs, hands, or feet
- flu symptoms such as fever, headache, sore throat, cough, tiredness, chills, and body aches
- runny or stuffy nose
- decreased appetite
- pain or swelling in the mouth or throat
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- hair loss
- difficult, urgent, or painful urination
- skin tingling, itching, or burning
- swelling of the ankles, feet, or lower legs
- toothache (in children)
If you experience any of the following symptoms, we encourage you to contact your medical professional immediately:
- swelling, pain, tenderness, warmth or redness in one leg
- shortness of breath
- coughing up blood
- fast heartbeat
- fast breathing
- pain when breathing deeply
- pain in the chest, arms, back, neck, jaw, or stomach
- breaking out in a cold sweat
- slow or difficult speech
- dizziness or faintness
- weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
- stomach pain
- vision changes
# These side effects were reported by patients on the initial trials. Many of them are likely to be steroid withdrawal effects and most people have either no or minimal side effects from TPORAs, and the rate of people stopping these treatments due to side effects is very low.